The Forest Management Sector (FMS) of MIMAROPA Region is mandated in the development, management, protection and conservation of the remaining forest resources in the Region.
MIMAROPA has a total land area of 2,745,601 hectares; 998,563 hectares (36.36%) of which are certified Alienable and Disposable (A and D) lands and the remaining 1,747,038 hectares ( 63.63 %) are classified as forest land. The Region’s timber land represents 5.82 % of the total land area of the country and considered the biggest forest land area compared to other regions like Region-2 with 1,711,453 hectares or 5.72%; Region 11 with 1,518,586 hectares or 5.06% and CAR with is 1,471,164% or 4.90%.
Forest Management Sector focuses on four (4) major priority programs in support to the Five Priority Agenda of President Aquino such as the National Greening Programs (NGP) under Forest Development; Clonal Nursery Establishment and maintenance and protection of Quality Planting Materials in coordination with Ecosystem Research and Development Service (ERDS); Forest Boundary Delineation and Assessment to include PA’s Land Use Allocation and Forest Protection.
The National Greening Program (NGP) shall be developed by the DENR through the DA-DENR-DAR Convergence Initiative. The total area to be developed nationwide under the NGP for CY 2011-2016 is 1.5 million hectares and 1.5 billion seedlings to be planted.
For MIMAROPA Region, the total target area to be established under the program for six (6) years (CY 2011-2016) is 76,484 hectares and 38.24 million seedlings to be planted within CBFM, PA, IP (CADT/CADC), and other areas. For the first two (2) years (CY 2011-2012) of implementation, the Region has developed a total area of 11,225.48 hectares and 5.6 million seedlings were planted. For 2013, NGP target is 15,891 hectares. In order to closely monitor the implementation of NGP the RED designated all Regional Technical Directors (RTD’s) as focal person for each province.
In the pursuit of protecting our remaining trees and increasing our forest cover, President Aquino signed Executive Order No.23 which declares a moratorium on the cutting and harvesting of timber in the natural and residual forest of the entire country and creates the Anti-illegal Logging Task Force to enforce the moratorium on logging and take the lead in the anti-illegal logging campaign. The RED serves as the Chairman of Region 4-B Anti-Illegal Logging Task Force while the Vice Chairman is the RD of DILG-4B. PNP, Brigade Commander of 201,Bde,PA (SOLCOM-Marinduque), Brigade Commander of 203, 12ID, PA (SOLCOM-Romblon & Mindoro), Wing Commander of 507th Composite Tactical Wing, PAF (WESCOM-Palawan) are the members.
Under the leadership of the Regional Executive Director, MIMAROPA Region is committed to pursue and strengthen its campaign against illegal logging in the Region. It will formulate a Forest Protection Plan and implement after adoption through resolutions by the LGUs and RDC, strengthen forest protection group or individuals by deputation and training. Other activities include protection of untenured areas, and create E-data base for forestry cases filed and status of prosecution.
For CY- 2012, MIMAROPA Region has filed 20 cases on illegal logging. It has confiscated/forfeited a total of 28.59 cu. m. of logs and 65,086.33 bd. ft. of lumber of assorted species. An Aggregate volume of about 9,111.00 bd.ft. of these confiscated lumber were donated to LGU, Occidental Mindoro Gawad Kalinga which were utilized for the construction of 90 houses.
The three (3) proclaimed Protected Areas (PA’s) such as Mt. Mantalingahan Protected Landscape, Raza Island Wildlife Sanctuary, and El Nido Taytay Protected Landscape will be delineated by the Regional Assessment Delineation Team (RADT) for CY 2013. The delineation of the PA boundary of (1). Marinduque Wildlife sanctuary; (2) Mt.Guiting-guiting National Park; (3).Mt.Calavite Wildlife Sanctuary and (4)Puerto Princesa Underground River National Park was completed in CY-2012.
Forest line boundary delineation and assessment with a total of 8,385.97 kilometers in five (5) provinces in MIMAROPA have already been completed to rationalize land uses in the uplands and ensure protection against illegal encroachment, forest disturbances and other unlawful activities. Draft bill on the reclassification of Forest land has already been prepared and submitted to National Delineation and Assessment Committee (NADC) for final deliberation.
The Forest Management Sector with 56 personnel component is headed by RTD for Forestry who is responsible for providing overall supervision and technical support to all forestry activities The Sector has two (2) regular divisions; the Forest Resources Conservation Division (FRCD) and Forest Resources Development Division and two (2) Units/Staff Offices: The Community Based Forest Management Office (CBFMO) and Regional Assessment Delineation Team (RADT).